Centralia Fire on Perrine Ave. Heavily Damages Home

Centralia City firefighters responded around 8:40 Sunday morning to a rental house fire in the 300 block of South Perrine occupied by Cynthis Gomez and Brianna Garrison.

A neighbor woke a babysitter, Brittany Garrison, sleeping on a couch in the home. Garrison and the one-year-old boy she was watching, Sterling Gomez, were able to get out of the home without injury.

When firefighters arrived on the scene flames were shooting out of the kitchen windows. While they were able to quickly get the fire under control, there was still heavy fire damage in the kitchen and smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the single-story rental home.

Firefighters report the blaze appeared to have started around the stove in the kitchen and was moving toward the attic.

One of two puppies in the home were saved by a firefighter but the other succumbed to apparent smoke inhalation.

All available firefighters were called in to the scene and returned to the station around 11 a.m.