Resident Saved From Apartment Fire In Centralia

(CENTRALIA, IL) — Fast action by a neighbor Sunday morning saved a Plaza Verde resident from potential injury when a fire broke out in her apartment. Centralia firefighters responded around 2:30 a.m. Sunday to a report of a fire at Plaza Verde. They say Lisa Shumate went to her neighbor’s apartment after hearing her screaming. Shumate found a chair and papers nearby on fire. She got the neighbor out of the apartment and then got the fire under control with an extinguisher from the hallway. Firefighters finished extinguishing the fire after they arrived. They believe that smoking may be to blame for the fire, which only damaged the chair and the papers.