Cigarette Believed to be Cause of Fire at Skippers Inn in Centralia

Cigarette Believed to be Cause of Fire at Skippers Inn in Centralia

CENTRALIA — Officials are pointing to a cigarette as the culprit of a fire Monday morning in the office of a bar in Centralia.

Centralia firefighters responded just after 11 a.m. Monday to Skippers Inn on South Locust in Centralia, where they say a cigarette that was not completely put out caught an employee’s purse and papers on a desk on fire. The employee had earlier closed the door when leaving the office.

The owner lives next door to the bar and found the fire when investigating noises coming from a surveillance camera in the office.

Before firefighters arrived, people on scene had used an extinguisher to put out most of the fire that was contained to the desk and the employee’s purse.

Firefighters used another extinguisher after they arrived to finish putting out the fire before working to remove smoke from the building.

The office suffered both smoke and heat damage. Firefighters were on the scene for about 20 minutes.